Saturday, January 3, 2015

Weekend Breakfast with the Kids--Healthy Style

I love making breakfast with the kids on a Saturday or Sunday morning.  Makes me nostalgic for my own childhood, eating pancakes and watching Tom and Jerry. It's a fun way to get them excited and involved in cooking and it's a nice break from their usual cereal, oatmeal and toast breakfasts. 
I came across this recipe on the Beachbody website and figured I would give it a try.  I didn't have high hopes...I generally shy away from "healthified" comfort food but I actually had all the ingredients at home already.

The result was a tasty, filling and dense waffle that my son approved of!  Plus, even adults can enjoy this heart healthy treat filled with whole grains.

Cashew and Oat Waffles
4 servings
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup raw cashews (I used almonds)
1 dash sea salt
1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
Nonstick cooking spray
1 cup mixed berries
1 Tbsp pure maple syrup (or raw honey)

Preparation:
Preheat waffle iron.  Place oats, cashews, and salt in a food processor; pulse until coarsely ground. Add oil, water, and extract; pulse until well blended.  Batter will be thick, but if it as thick as paste, add 2 to 3 Tbsp of water.  *I added closer to 4 to 5 Tbsps of water.  Pour 1/4 of batter into waffle iron, lightly coat with spray; cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until waffle iron indicates waffle is cooked, or until waffle is cooked through.  Repeat with remaining batter.  *I have a waffle iron with 4- 4" squares.  I used about 1/4 cup of batter per square. While waffles are cooking, combine berries and maple syrup in a medium bowl.  Slightly mash berries to release juice.  Serves waffles topped evenly with berry mixture.

If your kids are anything like mine, they like to run away from the breakfast table in between bites.  I have gotten into the habit of eliminating as many sticky finger situations as humanly possible.  I went ahead and mixed the maple syrup into the waffle batter and served them berries on the side.  The result was a subtly sweet, less sticky outcome.  These are definitely a lot more dense than your average waffle, so I was pretty full off of two small squares!

One serving:
Calories 295
21 Day Fix: 2 yellow 1 blue/orange




No comments:

Post a Comment