Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Family Favorite: Sagi Turkey Meatballs

I love this recipe.  It makes me happy to make it because I know that, for once, everyone in my house will enjoy it.  My little 3 yr. old with the paleo palate, my 4 yr. old carboholic girl, my "I don't like melted cheese and casseroles" hubby and me (most importantly).  I pair these meatballs with zucchini noodles for the adults and whole grain spaghetti for the kiddos. 
These meatballs are one of the recipes in the Beachbody Body Beast workout program which I will be starting in one week!!!  Yes, ladies, this guy will be my new trainer.
Holla!! 

Ok, ok...down to business.  Before I weight train like Sagi, I am going to eat like him. 

Sagi's Signature Meatballs
Makes 6 servings, 5 meatballs each

Total Time: 40 min
Prep time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 20 min

  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 1 1/2 lbs lean ground turkey
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup quick cooking rolled oats
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsps chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 Tbsps all natural tomato sauce
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees; lightly spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.  Note: I use parchment paper, it makes for easy clean up!

2.  Combine all ingredients in large bowl; mix well with clean hands.




3. Roll mixture into approximately 30 1 inch meatballs; place on prepared baking sheet.  Note: I usually make some that are kiddie size and place those towards the front of the baking sheet so I can remove them before the bigger ones are done.


4.  Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center.

This is the very basic recipe, but be creative!  I've done a million variations on this. I have added finally chopped onions, chopped mushrooms, swapped out the tomato sauce for tomato paste, used parsley, or added crushed red pepper flakes. I have even swapped the turkey out for organic grass fed ground beef.

I bet a little Asian variation of this could be fun, too!  I am thinking some sesame seeds, a little low sodium soy sauce and honey.  Yum yum! 

Make double batches of this and freeze some for those days when you don't have time to cook. Serve over pasta, throw them in some soup, serve in a pita or even cut them up and throw them on a salad for some extra protein.


No comments:

Post a Comment